How did people live in the villages along the Rhine in the past? You can get an impression of this in the two-story half-timbered house from 1753 with its farmstead and oil mill. Designed as an open-air museum area within the Riedmuseum area, it represents a typical rural farmstead in the Ried.
The residential house is furnished on the first floor with the original furniture of the last inhabitant, who died in 1993, and documents a typical living situation for the region and time. On the upper floor of the house, an exhibition shows themes of everyday village life such as clothing and folk piety. In addition, there are small "time windows" in many places in the house that allow a glimpse into the past.
The structure of the house
The present house had a predecessor building, which was destroyed by fire down to the foundation walls around 1753. The new dwelling house has a model character. Designed under purely functional aspects, the three-zone floor plan arranges the living rooms around the heat source, taking into account the light conditions. built in 1753 as a so-called kitchen hall house, the rural property belonged to the Jung family since the beginning of the 18th century, who lived here for six generations. Although the family was quite wealthy - the size and the exposed location in the center of the village and the family history prove this - any ornamentation was omitted. The half-timbering is simple and there were no wall decorations. When the last inhabitant of the house, Maria Burster, died without heirs in 1993, the house with its original furnishings became part of the museum complex.
The kitchen was a so-called smokehouse until the installation of the fireplace in 1940, and at that time it was a purely utility room to prepare food for people and animals. The kitchen also replaced the bathroom. The actual living room was the parlor. It was a place of communication, recreation, food intake, but also a room of economic activity such as small crafts, needlework or mending clothes. The original chamber was small, the beds were placed one behind the other against the wall. Moving the partition wall between the chamber and the parlor was probably connected with the desire to be able to furnish a bourgeois bedroom with double beds, chest of drawers and closet.
The retirement home
In the rear part of the house was the old people's part, which had a sleeping chamber and its own kitchen. Before the introduction of state pensions, the owners of the farm lived here. The granary was used exclusively for fruit storage. The harvest of a whole season had to be stored for food supply, because the families were mainly self-sufficient until after the Second World War. If the harvest was poor or the fruit spoiled due to improper storage, there were significant supply bottlenecks in the spring.
Das Riedmuseum Rastatt ist von März bis Oktober geöffnet
Fr, Sa, So und an Feiertagen: 14 Uhr bis 18 Uhr
Gruppenführungen nach Vereinbarung
Erwachsene 3 Euro, ermäßigt 1 Euro
Gruppenführung 40 €, an Wochenenden u. Feiertagen 50 € (max. 20 Personen)
Freier Eintritt mit dem Museums-Pass-Musée